(MARRS-RX7) couple questions

Bill #77 77
Mon Oct 13 17:06:48 CEST 2008

Quoting AUGUST MATULA <amc.fab at hotmail.com>, 10/11/2008:

> I'll be towing to the track, I just think it would be fun to rive it
>  around other than the track. well i hope it doesn't rain since i
> realy don't thave the time to get a set of RA1 I had considered just
>  getting a good det of street tires just to beat on till i get used
> to the car and then switch to the spec tires once i get a better
> idea what i'm doing.  plus i can use them for just running around
> town when I feel like driving it.

There is real benefit to learning to drive on the track with street
rubber. It's more forgiving and more instructive than R-compound
rubber. That said, the suspension of a Spec RX-7 is such that it will
quickly overpower street tires as your skills improve, so that limits
how long they can be useful.

Just as an example, a soon-to-be SRX7 rookie finally switched to the
Rs this past weekend, and immediately picked up a lot of speed and
started to put some things together he was having trouble with on the
street tires. It was good he started on and learned a lot on street
tires, but he was past the point of needed to switch up.

For street tires, just pick up some of the "+" wheels, which can be
had most anywhere for a song, and slap some cheap-o Korean tires on
them. Very handy for rolling the car around on the street and for
storing the car over the Winter when the R tires should be bagged-up
and hidden deep in a dark basement.

  - Bill
    SRX7 #77(RIP) & #79          Go Racing NOW!