(MARRS-RX7) couple questions

brian@ogracing brian
Wed Oct 15 15:10:19 CEST 2008

Danny, welcome to "the club."

Car Guys has been around longer than most non-marque clubs, and they have a
good program.  I've instructed for them a few times.  They are known for
better than average amounts of track time for the students.  Give them a
try.

I'm not sure the RX-7 would be that good for drifting, but maybe with crappy
tires on the rear, and decent rubber on the front.

Check the FATT schedule online, I haven't been keeping up or instructing
with them on a regular basis.  It's difficult to get off of work on Fridays
here.

There is one other event you should consider, I believe Mazda Drivers is on
the Shenandoah in two weeks, and they might not have a full school yet.

Brian Hair

  _____

From: spec7-bounces at specrx7.com [mailto:spec7-bounces at specrx7.com] On Behalf
Of AUGUST MATULA
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:41 PM
To: Spec RX-7
Subject: Re: (MARRS-RX7) couple questions

Well I've made some progress and belive it or not moved the seat forward but
the layback isn't what i was hoping for so I haven't set it totaly.  I
ordered a set of inexpensive tires and some diamond wheels just to burn up
while getting track time and maybe even do some drifting for fun.  It will
be interesting to see the difrence when I do switch rubber.
  On another note has anyone every gone to a Car Guys event? I had heard of
them before and I'm just looking for asmuch track time and pointers as I
can.  Most of all I just want to get out and have some fun and
drive(something other than my normal couple hundred miles a day). How far in
the winter do they run FATT aswell?

Danny Matula
AMC Fabricators, llc
ph# 540 295 7694
Fax# 1-800-763-1731

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:06:48 -0400
> From: 77 at stuart5.com
> To: spec7 at specrx7.com
> Subject: Re: (MARRS-RX7) couple questions
>
> Quoting AUGUST MATULA <amc.fab at hotmail.com>, 10/11/2008:
>
> > I'll be towing to the track, I just think it would be fun to rive it
> > around other than the track. well i hope it doesn't rain since i
> > realy don't thave the time to get a set of RA1 I had considered just
> > getting a good det of street tires just to beat on till i get used
> > to the car and then switch to the spec tires once i get a better
> > idea what i'm doing. plus i can use them for just running around
> > town when I feel like driving it.
>
> There is real benefit to learning to drive on the track with street
> rubber. It's more forgiving and more instructive than R-compound
> rubber. That said, the suspension of a Spec RX-7 is such that it will
> quickly overpower street tires as your skills improve, so that limits
> how long they can be useful.
>
> Just as an example, a soon-to-be SRX7 rookie finally switched to the
> Rs this past weekend, and immediately picked up a lot of speed and
> started to put some things together he was having trouble with on the
> street tires. It was good he started on and learned a lot on street
> tires, but he was past the point of needed to switch up.
>
> For street tires, just pick up some of the "+" wheels, which can be
> had most anywhere for a song, and slap some cheap-o Korean tires on
> them. Very handy for rolling the car around on the street and for
> storing the car over the Winter when the R tires should be bagged-up
> and hidden deep in a dark basement.
>
> - Bill
> SRX7 #77(RIP) & #79 Go Racing NOW!
> Forest Hill, MD http://SpecRX7.com/

  _____

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of
your life. See Now
<http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/>