(MARRS-RX7) FW: Car Insurance May Not Cover You at the Track

Bill #77 77
Wed Oct 22 18:46:51 CEST 2008

Quoting "Alex C." <alexanderanson at gmail.com>, 10/22/2008:

> Just playing devils advocate here, but I had another thought about all of
> this as I was falling asleep last night.  What about this example:
>
> A guy goes out and buys a Ferrari F355, always wanted one and had the money
> to do it.  He's always wanted to push the limits of the car a bit, but knows
> that the safest environment to do that at is a track day or FATT.

Funny, there was a guy with a 360 Modena Challenge Stradale (!) at the
last FATT. Driving it pretty hard too. There was also somebody with a
360 Spider, not driving it so hard. Hats off to both of them.

[...]
>  Its just Ironic to me,
> because that's what these cars are here for  - to go fast and to have fun
> (and with some of them, to look good while doing it). [...]

Insurance companies are here to spread reasonable risk over a large
number of people. Most don't consider tracking the car a reasonable
risk. Not saying I agree, but they are free to make that decision. You
are free to choose a different insurance company.

> I guess what I'm saying is that people that go to the track to do it
> the right way shouldn't be punished.

You're not. Your rates won't go up a penny if you have a crash that's
not covered. ;-P

> Now I'm seriously rethinking wanting to take my 350Z out to the track,
> although I have wanted to for some time.  Its not like I wanted to do it
> multiple times and beat the heck out of it, but I really would have loved to
> hear that thing whine down the front straight going into turn one while
> looking at the speedo to see how fast I was able to take it.

Obey Rule #1 and you'll be fine. Or buy incidental track insurance.
There are companies offering it. Or find a regular auto insurance
company that will cover recreational track days.

  - Bill
    SRX7 #77(RIP) & #79          Go Racing NOW!