(MARRS-RX7) CRC meeting notes and updates for the '09 season

John Uftring john
Wed Oct 29 03:49:51 CET 2008

Hey Folks,

As far as I know the May 9-10 dates for the SARRC/MARRS-MARRS/SARRC
(whatever) is a DOUBLE weekend, and it will be two days, and there
will likely be six or seven race groups. Groan all you want, but on a
long track things take time. I'll see if I can dig up the spreadsheet
I made a while ago that demonstrates this. Just think, WDC just went
from 8 to 9 to 10 and now back to 8 run groups. There is a reason
that happened.

That said, NCR has been working to speed things up. The stewards are
becoming more comfortable giving the false grid 5-minutes while there
are still cars on the track PROVIDED there is no cleanup required.
The stewards are becoming more comfortable with the course check
following the last car. It worked pretty well this past weekend, even
with the crappy weather on Saturday. Oh, and don't be surprised with
large (i.e.: 80+ or 90+ car) run groups. Southeast drivers can cope
just fine. I used to drive in Boston Rush Hour, and some of you guys
drive in Beltway Rush Hour. It's basically the same, only the speeds
are higher. If you want practice with large run groups, come drive in
an ECR or CCPS race.

As for the two-day versus three-day format, there is a long history
here. At one point it was three days. There were vocal complaints
against the three day format, so NCR changed it to two days. Some
people bi at tched that it was two days. NCR went back to three days and
guess what? Yep, people bi at tched about it being three days. So NCR
has made it two days, and it's likely to stay that way. Now, throw in
the VIR track scheduling challenges, and getting it to three days is
even more challenging.

That said, our Comp Board and Board of Directors are pretty open and
willing to work on the details, just don't expect Summit Point-like
schedules.

And as ever, I attend most BOD meetings and always take comments and
suggestions from this group to them. I also suggest that NCR try
something new, especially when I see something work well in another
region. I've used WDCR many times in the past as a good example for
various things, especially your Fire Rescue folks. The WDCR folks,
with two arms and two legs tied behind their backs, kick the @sses of
VIR's Fire Rescue team.

Cheers,

- John