(MARRS-RX7) HANS vs ISAAC

Bill #77 77
Fri Nov 14 23:29:30 CET 2008

I own the HANS, and I like it. I've used it in what was probably a
25-30 MPH offset crash when that Neon raped me, and I definitely felt
it work. Zero soreness or stiffness the next morning. Granted, the
cars crumpling absorbed a lot of the energy.

I looked at the ISAAC back in 2004 when I was looking to buy, and
again yesterday when Robert brought it up. I really like the concept
of the ISAAC, and the guy makes some compelling arguments.

The reason the ISAAC doesn't meet SFI spec is because releasing the
belts alone does not release the device, not because there are two
releases. Every other device is attached to the driver and held by the
belts. When the belts come free, the other devices are free.
http://www.isaacdirect.com/SFI.html

The guy has had at least five years to come up with a way to meet the
SFI spec, or make a big stink and get the spec changed. I can easily
imagine a device something like the HANS with wings coming over the
tops of the belts to hold the shock-absorbing devices. Belts come
loose, device is free, SFI spec is met. If I can think of this, why
can't he?

And listing people who died or were injured while wearing the HANS is
just not cool, IMHO.

So I like the idea of the ISAAC, but their published information (and
attitude) and lack of wider approval make me uneasy.

These sites appear to have up-to-date links and news on many H&N devices:
http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints
http://www.jayski.com/pages/restraint.htm

  - Bill
    SRX7 #77(RIP) & #79          Go Racing NOW!