(MARRS-RX7) there, i fixed it

Jack Burrows rx7rainman
Mon Oct 19 03:23:52 CEST 2009

Jerry,
Since this went to the SRX7 list, I'd like to second what Kevin just said
and add my own two cents worth from the tail end of the grid.

As far as my own selection of the RX7 for a race car, the choice was easy
for me because I already owned one (a commuter/grocery-getter) and one of
the basic cliches of racing is that the cheapest car to race is the car you
already own.  In my own case this meant I'd either build an RX7 of some kind
or a prod car out of my spare Triumph Spitfire.  My RX7 quandary was whether
to build a SRX7 or an ITA/IT7 car.  After talking with the SRX7 guys, the
choice was an easy one.

As for the "hard to drive" business, Kevin's right about the steering and
rigid rear.  The first time I took my RX7 on track was when it was a new
daily driver to me, and I merely wanted to see how it behaved "under
stress."   I'd raced an excellent-handling ITC car for a number of years
before building my RX7 and my daily driver for 30 years had been a Triumph
Spitfire.  Because of the RX7's steering and rigid rear, my first reaction
was that, compared to the cars I was accustomed to, "This car is a PIG."
 However, my second reaction was "but it's a PREDICTABLE pig."

In addition to the RX7's steering box and rigid axle, it's rear wheel drive
is something most people (except dinosaurs like me) have to adapt to.
 Driving them quickly means using the rear drives wheels to rotate the car,
which can be disconcerting at first to people who've grown up with
front-drivers.  So there's a lot of "throttle tail-wagging" in these cars at
speed, but it's just a matter of adjustment and it becomes a real hoot.

Oddly enough, what cinched it for me was that I missed a shift in what
seemed like a relatively sloppy linkage to me and shifted "up" from third to
second - winding the tach to the peg in the process.  And it did
*nothing*to the motor, which touches on another thing Kevin says.
Because the rotary
has no valves, springs, etc. you definitely can wind these things to
outrageous revs occasionally.  The tell-tale on my tach shows at some point
I actually hit 9100 RPM - which would've turned anything else into a
grenade.  Let's face it, it's hard to argue with a race motor that has
something like nine moving parts and goes around and around rather than a
reciprocating motor with all those valves, springs, con rods etc going up
and down at insane speeds.

As for the prospect of SRX7s going away, I don't see any signs of that in
this neck of the woods.  We averaged 12-15 cars this season despite a
horrendous economy which kept a lot of folks home.  I know of three new cars
coming on board and can easily foresee 20-car fields next season.  So I'd
SRX7 is alive and well here.

Jack Burrows