(MARRS-RX7) there, i fixed it

AUGUST MATULA amc.fab
Mon Oct 19 15:20:09 CEST 2009

Although I haven't gone wheel to wheel yet I have turned a bunch of laps and also abused them on the street for awhile.  I can honestly say that when i was younger the RX tought me how to drive.. they can be forgiving to a point and will teach you how to push the limits.For me since it has bee awhile since i've driven many sports cars i love the way it handles. its a just a very raw feel compared to the the crossfire i spent some time in recently. the thing that is the most frustrating thing I'd say is the power or lack there of but we're all in the same boat give or take some good tuning so its only frustrating when you get stuck behind someone who cant get though the talent areas but leaves you on a straightaway. But over all the price, the feel and the toughness of these cars make them a great bang for the buck in racing.

Danny Matula
AMC Fabricators, llc
ph# 540 295 7694
Fax# 1-800-763-1731

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:23:52 -0400
From: rx7rainman at gmail.com
To: spec7 at specrx7.com
Subject: Re: (MARRS-RX7) there, i fixed it

Jerry,
Since this went to the SRX7 list, I'd like to second what Kevin just said and add my own two cents worth from the tail end of the grid.
As far as my own selection of the RX7 for a race car, the choice was easy for me because I already owned one (a commuter/grocery-getter) and one of the basic cliches of racing is that the cheapest car to race is the car you already own.  In my own case this meant I'd either build an RX7 of some kind or a prod car out of my spare Triumph Spitfire.  My RX7 quandary was whether to build a SRX7 or an ITA/IT7 car.  After talking with the SRX7 guys, the choice was an easy one.

As for the "hard to drive" business, Kevin's right about the steering and rigid rear.  The first time I took my RX7 on track was when it was a new daily driver to me, and I merely wanted to see how it behaved "under stress."   I'd raced an excellent-handling ITC car for a number of years before building my RX7 and my daily driver for 30 years had been a Triumph Spitfire.  Because of the RX7's steering and rigid rear, my first reaction was that, compared to the cars I was accustomed to, "This car is a PIG."  However, my second reaction was "but it's a PREDICTABLE pig."

In addition to the RX7's steering box and rigid axle, it's rear wheel drive is something most people (except dinosaurs like me) have to adapt to.  Driving them quickly means using the rear drives wheels to rotate the car, which can be disconcerting at first to people who've grown up with front-drivers.  So there's a lot of "throttle tail-wagging" in these cars at speed, but it's just a matter of adjustment and it becomes a real hoot.

Oddly enough, what cinched it for me was that I missed a shift in what seemed like a relatively sloppy linkage to me and shifted "up" from third to second - winding the tach to the peg in the process.  And it did nothing to the motor, which touches on another thing Kevin says.  Because the rotary has no valves, springs, etc. you definitely can wind these things to outrageous revs occasionally.  The tell-tale on my tach shows at some point I actually hit 9100 RPM - which would've turned anything else into a grenade.  Let's face it, it's hard to argue with a race motor that has something like nine moving parts and goes around and around rather than a reciprocating motor with all those valves, springs, con rods etc going up and down at insane speeds.

As for the prospect of SRX7s going away, I don't see any signs of that in this neck of the woods.  We averaged 12-15 cars this season despite a horrendous economy which kept a lot of folks home.  I know of three new cars coming on board and can easily foresee 20-car fields next season.  So I'd SRX7 is alive and well here.

Jack Burrows