(MARRS-RX7) Realistic budget and lifestyle for a racer?

Gervais, Al AGervais
Wed Mar 9 16:44:43 CET 2011

It's actually very easy to spend twice that amount if you run the whole season and engage in good supporting practices like a test day or two, practice days before weekends, maybe a FATT or two... Going fast also increases your spend very significantly.. You will likely find your tire and brake use doubles by dropping your consistent lap times by a few tenths when you're running near the front. In that situation, tires and brakes don't give you the option to choose how long they're useful for.  You sort of have to decide how hard you want to push them by deciding how fast you want to go.  Another place where you can spend a lot of money is in spares.. You can keep costs lower by using spares from stripped parts cars, but the reality is you're putting junk on the car.  If you keep fresh parts like new trailing arms, control arms, tie rods and ends, new spare Tokicos, coils, master cylinder, etc in the spares box, then that adds up too.. But that way you'll always have good stuff on your car.  Stay away from stock clutches and buy a good sprung four puck.. It's easier to change the transmission than it is to change the sh!tty stock clutch when it inevitably shreds!  As for beer, my cooler is always open to any Spec 7 driver, present or past.. -AG

-----Original Message-----
From: spec7-bounces at specrx7.com [mailto:spec7-bounces at specrx7.com] On Behalf Of jim schwartz
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:21 AM
To: Spec RX-7
Subject: Re: (MARRS-RX7) Realistic budget and lifestyle for a racer?

 /$10k on the full season/

Thats crazy I never spent near that much.  If I did my wife would have
cut me off much earlier. I was getting at least 4 events on rotors and
bearings (pads are pads so you go through them quicker).  Since I never
had extra money laying around I'd run tires at least 4 events.  Run the
stock clutch and you won't have to replace the transmission.  You can
also save a lot of money by drinking Al's beer.  He drinks the good stuff.