(MARRS-RX7) Realistic budget and lifestyle for a racer?

Kevin Hutchens kevin
Wed Mar 9 21:42:58 CET 2011

Al, I didn't have that "problem" so I was able to squeak by on my budget ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: spec7-bounces at specrx7.com [mailto:spec7-bounces at specrx7.com] On Behalf
Of Gervais, Al
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:45 AM
To: Spec RX-7
Subject: Re: (MARRS-RX7) Realistic budget and lifestyle for a racer?

It's actually very easy to spend twice that amount if you run the whole
season and engage in good supporting practices like a test day or two,
practice days before weekends, maybe a FATT or two... Going fast also
increases your spend very significantly.. You will likely find your tire and
brake use doubles by dropping your consistent lap times by a few tenths when
you're running near the front. In that situation, tires and brakes don't
give you the option to choose how long they're useful for.  You sort of have
to decide how hard you want to push them by deciding how fast you want to
go.  Another place where you can spend a lot of money is in spares.. You can
keep costs lower by using spares from stripped parts cars, but the reality
is you're putting junk on the car.  If you keep fresh parts like new
trailing arms, control arms, tie rods and ends, new spare Tokicos, coils,
master cylinder, etc in the spares box, then that adds up too.. But that way
you'll always have good stuff on your car.  Stay away from stock clutches
and buy a good sprung four puck.. It's easier to change the transmission
than it is to change the sh!tty stock clutch when it inevitably shreds!  As
for beer, my cooler is always open to any Spec 7 driver, present or past..
-AG