(MARRS-RX7) SRX7 and the Club Racing Committee

Jack Burrows rx7rainman
Fri Dec 20 21:57:18 CET 2013

Yep, there's definitely a road course planned for the Dominion Raceway
complex at Thornburg.  Frankly, I was quite skeptical when I first heard
the rumblings, mainly because I've heard so many of these over the years
that, after a few decades of proposed tracks that never went anywhere, I'd
more or less adopted an attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it."  But
during the initial zoning hearings I met with Steve Britt and we talked at
length about Dominion.  It quickly.became clear to me that this was much
more than well-intended pie in the sky and that Steve understand the
economics of motorsports.  He also made it clear that the orad course is a
necessary component to the success of his overall business plan.  Since
then we've discussed his plans in earnest and I spoke at county council and
zoning meetings in favor of his development.

The dominion Raceway proposal includes a drag strip, a 0.44-mile oval, and
a 2.0-mile road course running around it.  I told Steve the only real
problem I could see with his proposal plat as far as our use of it for
MARRS events is a shortage of paddock space.  The plan calls for about 600
parking spaces, equally split between two lots outside either end of the
oval.  This would effectively be our paddock.  While a bifurcated paddock
would pose certain operational obstacles, those wouldn't be insurmountable.
 The problem as I see it is that the space is simply insufficient for a
typical MARRS event.  But perhaps that could change as the project
progresses.

I also told Steve that I do not see us relocating our racing program from
Summit Point to Dominion Raceway.  However, I could see us using it for our
PDX program and as a possible venue in lieu of some of our out-of-region
MARRS events.  That would be conditioned upon the ability to provide
adequate paddock space and SCCA's tack inspection team's approval of it for
these events.

Bottom line is that this is an exciting development taking place in the
Region, and we'd be crazy not to use it.

Jack.