(MARRS-RX7) Rotor question

Matthew Stutt matthew
Tue Mar 17 12:55:00 CET 2015

For what it's worth, I never ruined a bearing race during installation
or removal.  For the install I used a Harbor Freight aluminum bearing
race press tool
<http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-95853.html>.
For removal I used a very large punch.  Bearings aren't what I would
call cheap, especially given how often rotors need to be replaced, so I
would recommend at least trying to remove them from your old rotors.
Worst case you lose 10 minutes of your time.

Great point about carrying loaded spare rotors.  You will need them.

On 3/16/15 10:42 PM, johnnythegreek58 via Spec7 wrote:

> I would buy new bearings. Chances are they will get damaged on removal.
> That way you start off fresh if your not sure of there condition or
> can see signs of wear.
>
> Also bring AT LEAST one full set of front brake rotor bearings incase
> you crack a rotor while racing and need to replace. Its a pretty easy
> fix and common issue.
>
> Johnny The Greek #27
>
> On Mar 16, 2015 9:26 PM, "John Maslin via Spec7" <spec7 at specrx7.com
> <mailto:spec7 at specrx7.com>> wrote:
>
>     The front rotor and hub are one assembly, not
>     separate, which means you have to remove the bearing and race from
>     your old hub to repack and reinstall in the new hub, or replace
>     them.  Many of us use Brembos as a higher quality choice.  Make
>     sure you get the one for 12a cars. The 84-85 13b optioned cars
>     have different brakes.  To remove the bottom caliper bracket bolt,
>     use a 14mm box wrench and wedge in a screwdriver against it to
>     maintain leverage.  You may not need the screwdriver if you have a
>     thin offset box wrench.
>     John
>
>     On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Michael Root via Spec7
>     <spec7 at specrx7.com <mailto:spec7 at specrx7.com>> wrote:
>
>         When replacing the front rotors & pads do I need just new
>         rotors or do I need the "rotor and hub assembly"? I would
>         assume just the rotors, but I haven't done this job yet and
>         I'm usually wrong about parts...
>
>         --
>         v/r
>         Michael J. Root, PMP